Most evenings, after the munchkins are in bed, I settle in for about two hours of work. There's papers to look over, lessons to differentiate, and curriculum to realign. Tonight the routine was different because I had to get ready for the baby boy's second birthday tomorrow. I've really been having a hard time with this milestone. It's almost a bigger deal to me than birthday number 1. He's transitioning from baby to toddler. I can't stop it. And that's killing me.
I was talking with two amazing friends (and fellow mothers) earlier today about it all. They both have four children so to say they've been there and done that is an understatement. While we were talking I admitted that the reason The Boy still has his pacifier is because it's really the last baby thing he has that I do have control over. He absolutely doesn't need it. He spends the entire day at daycare without it, including naps, and he survives. I finally understood today that it's really me that still needs it.
I've found this time around there is something a little different about being a mama to a boy. I love my girls something fierce, don't doubt it. And, I can't explain what it is, but that special connection is there. He's all boy; rough and tumble, into trains and cars, and loves any sport with a ball. But he's a mama's boy. He checks in on me if I'm not in eyesight with a quick "Mama!" and waits for my answer. I was the first one to get his slobbery, open mouth kisses and the first one to hear him say "Love you!" I was there for every first there was. And every single one of them is a bittersweet last for me too.
So tonight, on the eve of his second birthday, I put him to bed without the paci. He's got his blankie, favorite music, and beloved Mickey to keep him company. I am glued to the baby monitor to spy on him. Honestly, I was hoping to hear "Oh no, mama!" like I usually do when I've "tried" to put him down without it. There's nothing but the soft sound of Mozart coming from the screen. I'm not sure whether to cry or feel proud. Either way, here's how this mama is preparing for the big day.......




Cheers to you and Happy Birthday to Cam! Enjoy your preparation, you deserve it!
ReplyDeleteI can relate to your story...only for very different reasons. Maddy had her "binki' until birthday number 3...don't judge me ;o ). I know time, among many other things in my life, is something I can not control... I know my Maddy is my only shot at this thing called "mom", and I LOVE every minute of it...but as the baby fades away and the beautiful little girl grows on, I feel sad...sad because I will never again have my "baby". It's a funny thing, I celebrate every milestone with happiness and amazement, but always wish I could just stop time...or at least slow it down.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday, Cam. You are a wonderful little boy, although I have not yet met you, I already know. Happy (third) 2nd birthday to you too Mama! You are a great mom, and a great friend!
A mother's happiness is like a beacon, lighting up the future but reflected also on the past in the guise of fond memories. ~Honoré de Balzac